Monday, March 1, 2010

Olympic Encounter in Geneva

Just when I thought I'd missed out on the winter olympics this year, I ran into a gold medal athlete at the Geneva airport! I was there to pick up Max and his co-worker after their business trip to Ohio. At first, I couldn't tell what was going on. There was so much noise; people with cow bells, horns, singing and shouting. There were French flags waving all over the place. Everyone was gathered around one particular area with cameras out and ready. My curiosity got the best of me and I headed towards the mob to see what it was all about.

It didn't take long to determine they were celebrating the return of an olympic athlete. I caught a glimpse of the medal around his neck and it was gold! By now I was kicking myself for leaving my camera at home, but I managed somehow to get a shot with the camera on my phone...not great but better than nothing.

Turns out that the athlete was Jason Lamy Chappuis who brought home one out of two gold medals won for France during this year's winter olympics. (No, the name Jason isn't really French. He was born in Montana to an American mother and French father). He won it in the Nordic Combined event. Here is a link to a much better picture of him and the other Nordic Combined medal winners:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/galleryid=419119.html#medal+ceremony+nordic+combined

He was very kind in the way he took time to take pictures and shake hands with people, and show them his medal, especially after having just flown in from Vancouver! The celebration went on for at least 20 minutes and that's only the part I walked in at and the part Max heard from baggage claim. Felicitations, Jason!

1 comment: