Sunday, January 22, 2012

Grotte de Choranche with Matt!


I know, I am so far behind on my posts!  We are in the middle of our relocation and I feel like I finally have a minute to update the blog.  We were so happy to have our friend Matt visit us over the Thanksgiving holiday!  We decided to take a small trip up to the Grotte de Choranche, located at the bottom of the Presles cliffs (above). 


The stalactites in this cave are referred to as soda straws since (I believe) they are hollow inside.  (I don't have my little informative sheet in front of me right now.  I think it's somewhere in our sea shipment, so please, bear with me.)   


The soda straws grow at a rate of 2 cm per hundred years (I believe).  There are some staws up to 3 meters long (that part I really do remember).  They are very beautiful and extreamly delicate.  Due to the very narrow opening, this cave remained undiscovered until the end of the 19th century and the straws have remained largely intact. 


The temperature of the cave remains a cool 10 degree celcius (or 50 degress farenheit) despite the temperature outside.  There are small little blind amphibians that have lived in the cave since prehistoric times.  We couldn't really take pictures of them since they were so sensitive to light.  They were kind of ugly anyway. 


 Here's Max and Matt in the cave!  We had a lot of fun during Matt's visit and we're glad he had the chance to see where we lived.  We always felt so fortunate when we would get visitors; having Matt was no exception.  We were sad to to see him go since he would be our last visitor to our home in France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment