Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A...u...g...u...s...t

Not much going on here, seriously. August is a REALLY slow month in France. Everyone is on vacation and many of the shops and restaurants have closed for the month. It even seems like the postmen are on vacation; we only got 1 piece of mail in 2 weeks time. I thought they forgot we still lived here. The cafeteria at Max's work site closed for 2 weeks too. My usual routine has been put on hold; the pool I go to is closed, my friends are out of town, and my AVF group has dispersed until late September.

(Reads: Annual closure, month of August 2010. Closed July 31 at 6:00pm, reopens Sept. 1 at 2:30pm. Happy vacation...)

Max and I usually stay pretty close to Chambery during this time of year too, since the roads are so congested with travelers. Needless to say, I've been getting a lot of cross stitching done, in between climbing the walls. I was really looking forward to the quiet time, but now I'm ready to start traveling again and to get back into my “normal” routine. That will all happen again before I know it. Do I really know what I'm asking for?!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Chambéry seems so dead right now. I'm ready for the rentrée even though I don't really have anything lined up yet, job-wise. David was talking about going to the pool when it reopens and I might go too. When do you usually go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I've been on a six-week break from school, and it's been obnoxiously hot here. Little Harry keeps me busy, but a new semester will be a nice change of pace.

    I love to think about you and Max living in France: lots of challenges, I'm sure, especially at first, but what great vacations nearby!

    ReplyDelete