Friday, November 27, 2009

The Alps

Max and I drove to Bergeggi, Italy separately, so that I could come back to Chambery when Max started his night shifts at the plant. It was a little intimidating driving alone, but I'm glad to have that experience under my belt. We have come a long way from when we first arrived and had a hard time starting and stopping our manual car on the hill in front of our apartment!

The scenery was incredible, especially since new snow had fallen. This was late autumn and we could see the color of the trees change from bright orange and yellow to a more muted hue the further up the mountain they grew. I found it hard to keep my eyes on the road!


There is a giant tunnel through the Alps connecting Italy to France called the Frejus Tunnel. The tunnel is a whopping 8 miles long. It feels like it takes forever to reach the end because the speed limit is low, and because it's eight miles long. While driving through the tunnel, I watched the car's external temperature gauge go from 6 degrees C (43 F) to 29 degrees C (84 F) then back down again. I had my windows rolled down in the middle of the tunnel; can't say I do that very often in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment