Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Trip with AVF

I joined a group about a month ago called AVF that welcomes newcomers to Chambery. While most of them speak only French, there are a few that speak English. I went on my first trip with them to Peisey, France. The town is in the same region as Chambery (Savoie) but is only 20 km from the Italian border. It is pretty high up in the mountains and actually snowed while we were there! I was so not prepared for that.

We visited a church within the town to observe this Baroque style altar. Baroque was an era in the history of Western culture whose art exemplified drama and exuberance (and yes, I looked that up). There are over 1,000 angel faces in this piece of art. The sculptures are made from mountain pine and covered in gold leaf.

Don't even ask me the name of this church. I lost it all in translation. I did have help though, from a friend who briefed me in English what I had missed from the French speaking tour guide. The trip would not have had as much fun without his help and the help from others!

This is a typical style house found on the steep hills of the town. I still don't know how the bus made it up here and how I managed not to get motion sick on the way up (or back down).

No comments:

Post a Comment